What Is the Montessori Method ?
Montessori is a method of teaching developed by Dr Maria Montessori in 1907. Her educational methods are based on scientific observations of children’s natural learning tendencies and willingness to learn in prepared environments. Guided by her discovery that children teach themselves, Dr. Montessori designed the “prepared environment” in which children could freely choose from a number of developmentally appropriate activities.
What is a Prepared Montessori Environment ?
What is a Montessori Practical Life Area ?
- develop physical coordination (pouring, scooping and sorting activities);
- develop care for themselves (personal hygiene, dressing activities, grace and courtesy);
- develop care for the environment (looking after the classroom, looking after the garden); and
- learn the skills of washing a table and food preparation to develop hand-eye coordination.
What is a Montessori Sensorial Area ?
- the pink tower (series of ten sequential cubes, varying in volume);
- knobbed cylinders (wooden blocks with 10 depressions to fit variable sized cylinders);
- broad stairs (ten wooden blocks, sequentially varying in two dimensions); and
- color tablets (colored objects for matching pairs or grading shapes of color).
What is a Montessori Mathematics Area ?
What is a Montessori Language Area ?
What is a Montessori Cultural Subjects Area ?
- geography (map puzzles, globes, cultural suitcases containing country-specific materials);
- science, such as biology, which includes the naming and organizing of plants and animals; and
- music and art.
What are the Montessori Materials for Development ?
AMIGA Montessori sets itself apart from other child care service providers in that it offers a structured learning platform to stimulate and nurture young minds. The proven and acclaimed Montessori philosophy and system, is delivered under a structured curriculum including practical life skills, sensorial experiences, mathematics, language (including reading and writing), cultures and sciences.
The scientifically based Montessori method was developed by Dr Maria Montessori, a graduate of the University of Rome, in 1890. Dr Montessori became the first woman to enter medical school in Italy. With the theme of Education and Peace, Dr Montessori ultimately received her nomination for the Nobel Peace Prize in 1949.
Our highly skilled team of teachers and centre staff are trained to deliver the highest quality Montessori education for your child, in an engaging, safe and stimulating environment.
When you visit one of our centres you will immediately see the difference in our learning model. We encourage families and children to see our centres for themselves and welcome centre tours. If Dr Montessori’s scientific research doesn’t convince you, come and experience it for yourself.